Containerization Enforcement for Food Business Started September 1
As of August 1, 2023, ALL food-related businesses in NYC must use rigid containers with secure lids when setting out trash for collection. Beginning September 1, violations are now being issued to non-compliant businesses.
Need more information to prepare your business? Join a virtual training session. Registration is required.
The NYC Department of Health & Mental Hygiene (DOHMH) recommends:
- Using hard-sided bins with tight fitting lids (some have lids that lock)
- Permanently attached lid to prevent loss
- Handle to make chaining easier
- Do not drill holes for draining or to attach a chain
- Replace any cans with holes, cracks, or damage
- Wheels help in moving cans from curb back into establishment
- Regularly clean containers with a sudsy cleaner or 10% bleach solution